All that stuff that came in the mail is now a working computer? First Build (B450 Gaming Pro Carbon + Ryzen 3700x) complete!

Finished my first build yesterday, with some additional adjustment today! Thanks for all the help! After a lot of nervousness and excitement, I’m quite happy. I may run into problems in the coming days, but so far things seem to be working, and that feels like a small miracle.

Here are some pictures (case open, close-up, case closed, and some CPU-Z stuff):

My cable management leaves something to be desired, but I had some trouble with that because the Fractal G has barely any room in the back for cables. That’s why I have the GPU cables right there in the main part of the case - when I had the GPU cables more in the back, it was hard to close the back panel, and I didn’t want to squeeze things. It seemed better to have them in a more unsightly position so that the back panel could slide smoothly closed. If you have any suggestions about that, I’d appreciate it.

Here are the specs (prices were different then, e.g. the Vega 56 was only $300, not $430):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $157.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $77.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Adorama
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card $309.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $129.89 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 White 52.19 CFM 120 mm Fan $15.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1135.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-10 14:03 EDT-0400

I plan on adding a 2 TB HDD for storage and a Blueray burner later on, because I have them from my old computer. The optical drive one of the main reasons I chose this case - it has a bay for that. But I’ll worry about that stuff at a later date.

I don’t seem to have had any obvious problems with the BIOS - it posted the first time, and Windows installation went smoothly. I updated Windows, installed drivers for the Vega 56, and installed the latest motherboard drivers from MSI (not sure whether I needed to do that).

There was one time this morning, the first time today that I booted it up, when either it didn’t post or the TV wasn’t getting a signal from it (I have the computer plugged in to a 1080P 46-inch TV, because I don’t have a monitor at the moment). That was after the computer’s HDMI had been unplugged from the TV overnight, the power supply had been turned off, and something else had been plugged in to the TV’s HDMI port overnight. When it didn’t work, I powered it off, re-did the HDMI cable, and then it booted fine. That’s the only problem I’ve had in probably 20 boots, so I’m not too worried. I’m not sure whether it was just the TV acting weird, or a BIOS irregularity (beta BIOS), or what - but it only happened that one time.

At first my 3200 ram was only running at 2133, but I turned on XMP in BIOS and now it is running at 3200, so I think that’s fine.

I tried firing up World of Warcraft, and at max settings it seemed to run fine. It said 100.00 FPS and that never changed at all. Not too sure what that means. But the game was running at much higher settings and FPS than I’ve ever had before, so that pleased me.

According to GPU-Z, I have the Samsung GPU memory, so I think that means I could flash the Vega 64 BIOS for better performance if I wanted? I guess I’ll wait on that though, so that there are fewer troubleshooting variables if problems arise with the new build.

The hardest aspect of the build for me was cable management and getting some of the cables plugged in. After screwing in the power supply, I found it hard to access the connectors there, because the case has a drive enclosure in front of it. And the 24-pin motherboard power was very sticky, rather difficult to plug it in all the way. I wasn’t thrilled with the Fractal G case in terms of ease and comfort of building. It seemed to me that there wasn’t enough room for cables in the back, or good spots to secure them. But it seems to have worked out.

I’ll probably run into some kind of trouble in the coming days, but clearly it is basically working, so I’m very pleased. Do you think I missed anything important for the initial setup, drivers etc? I’m going to go through the “what to do next” sticky. When MSI releases a non-beta version of the BIOS, I’ll update it to that.

Thanks again!

You’ve given me hope. I want the exact same mobo and cpu but was wondering if I should just go x570 because of the bios issues. Might as well give it a try.

Did u add any extra air cooler or fans?

I only added a case fan, because my case doesn’t come with an exhaust fan (comes with two intake fans pre-installed). I used the stock cooler for the CPU and it seems fine, though I’m no expert. The stock cooler looks nice, too.

I’m glad I could provide a confidence boost! Yeah, everything seemed to go as it was supposed to with the bios (version 17M).

I’m curious, is the light on the CPU cooler configurable?

Also, any reason why you chose the MSI Carbon over the Tomahawk? I was planning on doing the Tomahawk for my build, but I’m stuck waiting for the CPU/GPU to come back in stock.

Yes, I’m able to change the color, brightness etc using MSI Mystic Light, using the USB header cable from the fan rather than the RGB header cable. I’m told there’s special Cooler Master software specific to the Wraith Prism, but I haven’t tried that yet.

One oddity is, during boot the LED color of the CPU goes back to the default color-changing pattern, and doesn’t switch to my selections until the computer has fully booted up. That’s when using Mystic Light.

I chose the Carbon board because in my current situation I need WiFi, and it has that on board. Also, I saw a lot people saying it’s one of the best B450 boards, although it sounds as if it is similar to the Tomahawk in many respects.